Thursday, February 23, 2006

Harman Kardon Soundsticks

So, I've been meaning to buy a good pair of speakers for my computers at home. I'd initially thought of going for something a little expensive, but decided later on that I'd rather get an expensive amp set for my music playing and get relatively inexpensive but good speakers for my computer. When I used to work at the Sonification Lab under Professor Bruce Walker at GaTech, I'd noticed this really cool set of transparent Harman Kardon speakers that he had. Soon, even the labs had those and they were really fabulous, simply a pleasure to listen to.

Ever since, I'd been meaning to get them. However, when I looked at them while still at GaTech, I learnt that they were ~$250, and I wasn't willing to spend all that much on a pair of speakers while still an impoverished student. Then again, a professor of sonification was using them to project 3d sound, so you can be certain that they were definitely well worth it! Anyway, just out of curiosity, I recently searched Amazon.com for these speakers, and guess what? Turns out that they were on sale for just about a little more than $100. And since I'm an Amazon Prime member, shipping was almost negligent. Given that my income has significantly improved since, I decided to get them. All I can say is this - if you can afford them, get them! I'm serious, they simply rock. They look sleek, they've fantastic surround sound and they project the clearest sound I've heard from speakers in a long time. I've heard some people say that these speakers do not project the bass of heavy metal very well. As a long time listener of bands whose names you wouldn't want 10 year olds to hear about, I can assure you that that's not the case. One of the first things I did was to play music, starting from regular metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden), grunge metal (Nirvana), black metal (Venom, Mercyful Fate), power metal (Pantera), speed metal (Judas Priest), heavy metal (Slayer), thrash metal (older Metallica, Megadeth) and of course some nice death metal (Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse). Trust me, it sounds fantastic. From classical to metal, these speakers are simply fabulous. They have fantastic 3d sound that sounds very cool.