Wednesday, September 21, 2005

"You lived what anybody gets, Bernie. You got a lifetime. No more. No less."

Change. Change. Change. Change... Change. Change. Chaaange. When you say words a lot they don't mean anything. Or maybe they don't mean anything anyway, and we just think they do. Delirium, in SANDMAN #41: "Brief Lives:1" In her world there are so many windows. Each opening shows her an existence that's fallen to her— some only for moments, others for lifetimes. Despair's realm, in SANDMAN #41: "Brief Lives:1" "I mean, does this always happen when a girlfriend walks out on him?" "Not at all. For example, after the Nada affair he razed the Dreaming. It was a bleak, lonely desert for centuries. I remember the first flower that grew. The first time he smiled again..." Matthew and Lucien, in SANDMAN #42: "Brief Lives:2" There are roughly seventy people walking the Earth, human to all appearances (and in a few cases, to all medical tests currently available), who were alive before the Earth had begun to congeal from gas and dust. SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "You lived what anybody gets, Bernie. You got a lifetime. No more. No less." Death, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "What's the name of the word for the precise moment when you realize that you've actually forgotten how it felt to make love to somebody you really liked a long time ago." "There isn't one." "Oh. I thought maybe there was." Delirium and Dream, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "What the hell would you know? You're a dog." "Did I ever say I wasn't?" Destruction and Barnabas, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "You know, Barnabas, there are those who claim that for unquestioning respect and eternal devotion, all one needs is a dog." "Hey, schmuck, devotion you've got. Perjury isn't in the job description." Destruction and Barnabas, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" When I dream, sometimes I remember how to fly. You just lift one leg, then you lift the other leg, and you're not standing on anything, and you can fly. Chloe Russell, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "So what I want to know is, when I'm asleep, do I really remember how to fly? And forget how when I wake up? Or am I just dreaming I can fly?" "When you dream, sometimes you remember. When you wake, you always forget." "But that's not fair!" "No." Chloe and Dream, in SANDMAN #43: "Brief Lives:3" "Listen, I couldn't help overhearing you earlier. You said destiny was blind. Well, didn't you mean love? It's 'Love is blind'. That's the saying, isn't it?" SANDMAN #44: "Brief Lives:4" I know how gods begin, Roger. We start as dreams. Then we walk out of dreams into the land. We are worshipped and loved, and take power to ourselves. And then one day there's no one left to worship us. And in the end, each little god and goddess takes its last journey back into dreams... and what comes after, not even we know. Ishtar, in SANDMAN #45: "Brief Lives:5" I'm going to dance now, I'm afraid. Ishtar, in SANDMAN #45: "Brief Lives:5" The garden of Destiny. Look behind you: shadow-plays of memory are forever being enacted, on paths you walked too long ago. SANDMAN #47: "Brief Lives:7" Do you know why I stopped being Delight, my brother? I do. There are things not in your book. There are paths outside this garden. You would do well to remember that. Delirum to Destiny, in SANDMAN #47: "Brief Lives:7" Destruction did not cease with my abandonment of my realm, no more than people would cease to dream should you abandon yours. Perhaps it's more uncontrolled, wilder. Perhaps not. But it's no longer anyone's responsibility. Destruction, in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8" I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend. Destruction, in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8" The Endless? The Endless are merely patterns. The Endless are ideas. The Endless are wave functions. The Endless are repeating motifs. The Endless are echoes of darkness, and nothing more. We have no right to play with their lives, to order their dreams and their desires. Destruction, in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8" "Even our existences are brief and bounded. None of us will last longer than this version of the universe." "Except our sister." "So we suppose." Destruction, Delirium, and Dream refering to Death in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8" What's done can't be undone. Or very rarely. And definitely not this time. Destruction, in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8" "You cannot seek Destruction and return unscathed." "Delirium has." "Delirium has been scathed enough in her time." Despair and Desire, in SANDMAN #49: "Brief Lives:9" "You know, I swore an oath once. I swore I would make him spill family blood. And now he has. I should be triumphant." "It was not your doing." "True. But it was what I wanted." "So. Are you happy?" "No. I'm scared." "So am I." Desire and Despair, in SANDMAN #49: "Brief Lives, Chapter 9"