Wednesday, September 21, 2005

...the price for getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

The fraternity of critics, in reality a dark brethren, linked by profane rites and blood vows. To destroy an author they sacrifice a child and perform a critical mass... Ideas flooding the mind of Richard Madoc, in SANDMAN #17: "Calliope" Gryphons shouldn't marry. Vampires don't dance. A man who inherits a library card to the library in Alexandria. A rose bush, a nightingale, and a black rubber dog- collar. Ideas flooding the mind of Richard Madoc, in SANDMAN #17: "Calliope" "Justice?" It repeated. "Justice is a delusion you will not find on this or any other sphere. And wisdom? Wisdom is no part of dreams, lithe walker, though dreams are a part of the sum of each life's experiences, which is the only wisdom that matters. But revelation? That is the province of dream." A skeleton bird, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" All cats can see futures, and see echoes of the past. We can watch the passage of creatures from the infinity of now, from all the worlds like ours, only fractionally different. And we follow them with our eyes, ghost things, and the humans see nothing. The visionary cat, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" They dreamed the world so it always was the way it is now, little one. There never was a world of high cat-ladies and cat-lords. Dream, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" If enough of us dream, if a bare thousand of us dream, we can change the world. We can dream it anew! A world in which no cat suffers from the malice of humans. In which no cats are killed by human caprice. A world that we rule. The visionary cat, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" Dream the world. Not this pallid shadow of reality. Dream the world the way it truly is. A world in which all cats are queens and kings of creation. That is my message. And I shall keep moving, keep repeating it, until I die. Or until a thousand cats hear my words, and believe them, and dream, and we come again to paradise. The visionary cat, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" Little one, I would like to see anyone —prophet, king or God —persuade a thousand cats to do anything at the same time. A cynical cat, in SANDMAN #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" "So... we are here on your command, my lord, on Midsummer's Eve, by the Long Man of Wilmington. An odd choice of a place for us to perform..." "Odd? Wendel's Mound was a theatre before your race came to this island." "Before the Normans?" "Before the humans." Shakespeare and Dream, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak. Dream, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" "'I am that merry wanderer of the night.'? I am that giggling - dangerous - totally - bloody - psychotic - menace - to - life-and- limb, more like it." "Shh, Peaseblossom. The puck might hear you." Members of the audience, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" None of those women are women at all. They're males. I can tell. Human males taste more like rabbit than the females — and they stick in your teeth. Skarrow, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" You played me well, mortal. But I have played me for time out of mind. And I do Robin Goodfellow better than anyone. Robin Goodfellow, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Things have changed, and will change more; and Gaia no longer welcomes us as once she did. Auberon, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" ...the price for getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted. Dream, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" During your stay on this Earth the faerie have afforded me much diversion, and entertainment. Now you have left for your own haunts. And I would repay you all for the amusement. And more. They shall not forget you. That was important to me: that King Auberon and Queen Titania will be remembered by mortals, until this age is gone. Dream, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" "It's true. It never happened thus, yet it is still true. What magic art is this?" Robin Goodfellow, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Dream, in SANDMAN #19: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" They say that cigarettes will kill you, eventually. Fine. That's just fine. I only wish they'd do it faster… I like smoking cigarettes. It's something normal people do. I smoke a cigarette, and pretend I'm normal. And I wish I was dead. Element Girl, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade" "And you've come for me? Blessed, merciful death. You've come to make it all stop?" "No. I haven't come for you, Rainie. There was a woman upstairs, changing the light bulb in her kid's room. The stepladder slipped... Like I said, I was passing and I heard you crying, and, well, the door was open..." Element Girl and Death, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade" Anyway: I'm not blessed or merciful. I'm just me. I've got a job to do and I do it. Listen: even as we're talking, I'm there for old and young, innocent and guilty, those who die together and those who die alone. I'm in cars and boats and planes, in hospitals and forests and abattoirs. For some folks death is a release and for others death is an abomination, a terrible thing. But in the end, I'm there for all of them. Death, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade" When the first living thing existed, I was there, waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job is finished. I'll put the chairs on tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave. Death, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade" Rainie, mythologies take longer to die than people believe. They linger on in a kind of dream country that affects all of you. Death, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade" Who am I? Just a friend. Sometimes. Maybe. Sorry I couldn't help any. Be seeing you... Death, in SANDMAN #20: "Façade"