Monday, September 26, 2005

A Lugard Girl Came To Town...

At the Wheel of Time track at Dragon*Con, there was a Gleeman's Contest at the Winespring Inn. It was quite simply fabulous, with people presenting all kinds of things imaginable, but the best performance there was a song called, "A Lugard Girl Came To Town" by Eleyan Sedai. It was simple, yet very well written and even better recited - if you're a Wheel of Time fan, you'd be falling down laughing hard at the lyrics. Rather than try and say about it myself, I'll just let Eleyan Sedai say it herself:

The song is one I wrote. The Lyrics are based off of these by Robert Jordan:
A lugard girl, she came to town, to see what she could see. With a wink of her eye, and smile on her lip, she snagged a boy or three, or three. With an ankle slim, and skin so pale, she caught the owner of a ship, a ship. With a soft little sigh, and a gay little laugh, she made her way so free. So free
Unfortunately, I couldnt think of a tune to go with it, so I rewrote it. Here are my lyrics.
A Lugard Girl Came To Town To a tavern down in Caemlyn, a maid came in one night With her hair all made of sunlight, and her big eyes burning bright She ordered up a beer, undid her cloak and let it fall And that’s when she stood right on up, and said this to us all… Oh I’ve just come from Lugard town in fairest Murandy I like where I’ve been, and I’m liking what I see! But I’ve come for a purpose. Now as quickly as I can, I have come down here to Caemlyn to find me a good man! We were speechless for a moment, t’was strange sight for to see So a lovely young maiden as brazen as she She wiggled her sweet hips and then she showed a little thigh Then every man stood all as one to try and catch her eye!. The first to get attention was a man from Tar Valon With his dashing good looks, he knew he just couldn’t go wrong He’d had plenty of ladies, far more than he could count! “Pick me!” cried the man” And I’ll show you Dragonmount!” Oh I’ve just come from Lugard town in fairest Murandy I like where I’ve been, and I’m liking what I see! But I’ve come for a purpose. Now as quickly as I can, I have come down here to Caemlyn to find me a good man! The next to come on forward hailed from far off Cairhien Which we all know does not provide the tallest of men “Dear Lady” he said, “Please invite me to stay! And we’ll play games within your house until the break of day!” And then stood a up man who had just come from Ebou Dar He’d been long on the road and he’d traveled very far “My beauty”, he said” Why don’t you pick me? And I’ll show you just how good an old seaman can be! Oh I’ve just come from Lugard town in fairest Murandy I like where I’ve been, and I’m liking what I see! But I’ve come for a purpose. Now as quickly as I can, I have come down here to Caemlyn to find me a good man! “Oh dear me” said the lady, “I cannot pick just one. I’d feel far too picky. And it’d ruin all my fun. So I’ll follow my heart, for its clear and all can see There’s no other decision! So I’m gonna take all three!” But standing in the back, a man from Amador for sure. Was wearing clothes of white, looking righteous and pure “Young woman”, said he “You will surely go to hell.” But if that is where you’re going, then I’m going there as well!” Oh I’ve just come from Lugard town in fairest Murandy I like where I’ve been, and I’m liking what I see! But I’ve come for a purpose. Now as quickly as I can, I have come down here to Caemlyn to find me a good man! I have down here to Caemlyn to find me a good man!
I did, however, lift the tune. I was terrified enough to sing lyrics, not QUITE brave enough to share my music writing. The tune is from a famous drinking song called "Beer Beer Beer" Original lyrics can be found here: http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/46 I didn't feel too bad. If RJ lifts the Gary Owen for his tune for "Jack o'the Shadows", I can lift "Beer beer beer."
As amazing as it sounds, mere lines do not do justice to what it sounded like - there was no accompaniment, no music - but yet, it was probably one of the best sounding recitals I've ever heard in my life. Enjoy!!! And here's to Eleyan Sedai's wonderful performance, and varied talents. Now if only I could convince her to upload am mp3 of the recital... Psssssst: If you're reading this, Mother - please? Pretty please, with sugar on top? ;-)