Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It is sometimes a mistake to climb, it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt.

It is sometimes a mistake to climb, it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt. Dream, in SANDMAN: "Fear of Falling" - "Dreams. What are Dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother." - "Dreams are 'nothing', sister? Without dreams there could be no Despair." Despair and Dream, in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" - "I hesitate to tell you this, Sam, but there are certain individuals who have accused me of. Mm. Well, being mad." - "You shock me, Your Majesty." Norton I, Emperor of the United States, and Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" - "His madness... His madness keeps him sane." - "And do you think he is the only one, my sister?" Delirium and Dream, in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" "Desire? You disappoint me. This evening's display: bringing back a dead man to offer Norton the pleasures of the world. It was not very subtle." Dream, in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" They say that the world rests on the backs of 36 living saints - 36 unselfish men and women. Because of them the world continues to exist. They are the secret kings and queens of this world. Death, in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" I've met a lot of kings, and emperors and heads of state in my time, Joshua. I've met them all. And you know something? I think I liked you best. Death, to Joshua Norton in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" - "I must confess, I have always wondered what lay beyond life, my dear." - "Yeah, everybody wonders. And sooner or later everybody gets to find out." Norton I and Death, in SANDMAN #31: "Three Septembers and a January" "Will you kill all the poets, then, St. Just? Will you kill all the dreamers?" Lady Johanna Constantine, in SANDMAN #29: "Thermidor" From that Time on, the Song of Orpheus has always hovered at the Edge of my Perception; a Melody I can never fully recover, try howsoever I will. And do not doubt that there are many in Authority to whom I would sing it, if 'twere within my Power. Lady Johanna Constantine, in SANDMAN #29: "Thermidor" The young man's mother had died bringing him into the world; she gave him life, a small wooden finger-ring, and the name Vassily. There have been worse legacies. The grandfather's tale in SANDMAN #38: "The Hunt" "Of course you don't believe in fairies. You're fifteen. You think I believed in fairies at fifteen? Took me until I was at least a hundred and forty. Hundred and fifty, maybe. Anyway, he wasn't a fairy. He was a librarian. All right?" Grandfather in SANDMAN #38: "The Hunt" Listen, blood of my blood, although I'm a hard man to anger, and I love you deeply, if you interrupt me again so help me I'll rip out your throat with my teeth. The grandfather in SANDMAN #38: "The Hunt" Do you know how long it's been since I mislaid a book? Well, let's just say the continents weren't in their current shapes, not that that means anything to you. Lucien in SANDMAN #38: "The Hunt" We write our names in the sand, and then the waves roll in and wash them away. The emperor Augustus in SANDMAN #30: "August" Forewarned is seldom forearmed. Not even in the shifting zones. Dream, in SANDMAN #39: "Soft Places" - "You look white as the man in the moon. Are you always that pale?" - "That depends on who's watching." Marco Polo and Dream, in SANDMAN #39: "Soft Places" Any view of things that is not strange is false. An aside, in SANDMAN #39: "Soft Places" There are really patterns. It was a revelation, of a kind. Dreams and sand and stories. Deserts and cities and time. SANDMAN #39: "Soft Places" Herakles was full of it. He just got dead drunk for a couple of weeks in Phrygia and told everyone he'd been to the land of the dead. Death, in SANDMAN: "The Song of Orpheus" "I don't need to know the future. When the future's over, then it's me..." Death, in SANDMAN: "The Song of Orpheus" Thou hast made the Furies cry, Orpheus. They will never forgive you for that. Queen Persephone, in SANDMAN: "The Song of Orpheus" There was also in that room the Other Egg of the Phoenix. (For the Phoenix when its time comes to die lays two eggs, one black, one white: From the white egg hatches the Phoenix-bird itself, when its time is come, but what hatches from the black egg no one knows. SANDMAN #50: "Ramadan" You have called me here, Haroun. It is unwise to summon what you cannot dismiss. Dream, in SANDMAN #50: "Ramadan" He prays as he walks (cursing his one weak leg the while), prays to Allah (who made all things) that somewhere, in the darkness of dreams, abides the other Baghdad (that can never die), and the other egg of the Phoenix. But Allah alone knows all. SANDMAN #50: "Ramadan"