Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.

The paths fork and divide. With each step you take through Destiny's garden, you make a choice; and every choice determines future paths. However, at the end of a lifetime of walking you might look back, and see only one path stretching out behind you; or look ahead, and see only darkness. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 The garden of Destiny. You would know it if you saw it. After all, you will wander it until you die. Or beyond. For the paths are long, and even in death there is no ending to them. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. Delirium, in SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 Desire smells almost subliminally of summer peaches, and casts two shadows: one black and sharp-edged, the other translucent and forever wavering, like heat haze…Desire smiles in brief flashes, like sunlight glinting from a knife- edge. And there is much else that is knife-like about Desire… Never a possession, always the possessor, with skin as pale as smoke, and eyes tawny and sharp as yellow wine: Desire is everything you have ever wanted. Whoever you are. Whatever you are. Everything. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 Despair, Desire's sister and twin, is queen of her own bleak bourne. It is said that scattered through Despair's domain are a multitude of tiny windows, hanging in the void. Each window looks out onto a different scene, being, in our world, a mirror. Sometimes you will look into a mirror and feel the eyes of Despair upon you, feel her hook catch and snag on your heart. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 Destiny is the oldest of the Endless; in the beginning was the Word, and it was traced by hand on the first page of his book, before ever it was spoken aloud… Destiny smells of dust and the libraries of night. He leaves no footprints. He casts no shadow. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 Delirium was once Delight. And although that was long ago now, even today her eyes are badly matched; one eye is a vivid emerald green, spattered with silver flecks that move; her other eye is vein blue. Who knows what Delirium sees, through her mismatched eyes? SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 Dream casts a human shadow, when it occurs to him to do so. SANDMAN #21: "Season of Mists", episode 0 "Well, at least you've got the element of surprise on your side." "That would not be honorable, Matthew. I have already sent a messenger to the Lord of Hell, to let him know that I will be coming. One must do these things properly." SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 [Of The Cainites] They also held that the way to salvation was to give way to lust and temptation in all things. And no greater percentage of them turned up here than of any other religion. Amusing, isn't it? Lucifer, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 - "'Better to rule in hell, than serve in heaven.' Eh, little brother-killer?" - "Suh-certainly, Lord Lucifer. Whatevery you say, Lord Lucifer." - "We didn't say it. Milton said it. And he was blind." Lucifer and Cain, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 I move from dreamer to dreamer, from dream to dream, hunting for what I need. Slipping and sliding and flickering through dreams; and the dreamers will wake and wonder why this dream seemed different, wonder how real their lives can truly be. Dream, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 "You know, the idea of what someone like you considers a long time sends shivers down my spine." Hob Gadling to Dream, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 "To absent friends, lost loves, old gods and the seasons of mists. And may each and everyone of us always give the devil his due." Hob Gadlings toast, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 They believe themselves Lucifer's equals, Cain, all these pitiful little gnats. But there is only one that we have ever owned to be our superior. There is but one greater than us, and to him... to him we no longer speak. Lucifer, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 We do what we must, Lucien. Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. Dream, in SANDMAN #22: "Season of Mists", episode 1 "I am Breschau of Livonia. I ripped out the tongues of those who spoke against me, and cut the unborn babes from the wombs of my enemies women, that they would not become warriors to rise against me. I took my mother by force, and I strangled my sister when she would not consent to my advances. Soon my name was whispered in the night by mothers to terrify their babes into obedience, I am Breschau, who bathed in the blood of children. I am Breschau, who forced the true prophets of the lord to dance upon plates of hot iron, under which fires were burning, and I laughed as they danced. I am Breschau, and when my mistress was unfaithful to me, I cut the nose from her face and wore it about my neck. As for the woman, I had her sewn to her lover, and, skin to skin, I left them in the desert to be eaten by ravens, and I laughed as I heard them scream. I am Breschau, and this is my punishment." Breschau (of Livonia), in SANDMAN #23: "Seasons of Mist: episode 2" - "Would the Lord of hell destroy his realm? Would the Lord of hell ever free the souls held in torment? Would the Lord of hell expel the never-born? Would the Lord of hell abandon the war with heaven?" - "The Lord of hell will do what he damn well likes." The demon Ketele and Lucifer, in SANDMAN #23: "Seasons of Mist: episode 2" "They talk of me going around buying souls, like a fishwife come market day, never stopping to ask themselves why. I need no souls. And how can anyone own a soul? No. They belong to themselves...they just hate to face up to it." Lucifer, in SANDMAN #23: "Seasons of Mist: episode 2" I could never again be an angel... Innocence, once lost, can never be regained. Lucifer, in SANDMAN #23: "Season of Mists: episode 2" "I'm the amazing Cain. If you enjoyed our show, tell your friends. If you didn't, I trust you get throat cancer and die without ever again uttering another word. Goodnight." Cain, in SANDMAN #27: "Seasons of Mist: episode 6" - "There will be no more wanton violence; no further suffering, inflicted without reason or explanation. We will hurt you. And we are not sorry. But we do not do it to punish you. We do it to redeem you. Because afterward, you'll be a better person...And because we love you. One day you'll thank us for it." - "But you don't understand...that makes it worse. That makes it so much worse..." Remiel and one of the damned, in SANDMAN #28: "Seasons of Mist: episode Infinfty"