Thursday, August 04, 2005

Adam Smith, Bartending, Documentum Openings & Questions

Adam Smith and Bartending So, today I got a couple of new books, seemingly unrelated. The first was Adam Smith's famous masterpiece An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, better known as, The Wealth of Nations. Adam Smith is considered by many to be founding father of modern day economics, and this book explores the development of industry and commerce in Europe, as well as ponders over such ideas as free trade and capitalism. Now I had read my Mom's copy of the Wealth of Nations, simply because she was an economist and wanted me to read "intellectual classics" when I was much younger. Suffice it to say that I wasn't really happy at the prospect of having been made to read this book at the age of 16, but it has most definitely helped me over the years.

And before you jump to conclusions, let me tell you one thing - no, you do not need a Ph.D. in economics to understand this. Adam Smith had written this for the common man, and if a 16 year old who is pissed off at the whole world (and his Mom, for making him read this book) can understand it, you most certainly can! The second book ofcourse, is Bartending for Dummies, by Ray Foley who is the publisher of the Bartender magazine.
No, I'm not considering an alternate career. I know, I know - with the JWZ quote and what not, that would have been a safe assumption and perhaps even a good guess, at an earlier time in my life. But not now. However, I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of it, either - so I will just go ahead and say that Stealth mode startups rock! But here's a hint - the two books have a lot more in common than you can ever possibly imagine. *insert evil grin* Documentum Openings Highbrew is actively pursuing Documentum folks or folks with Documentum experience for both onsite and offshore projects. So if you or your friends know anybody at all with a profile that fits this description, please do let me know at karthik - at - highbrew - dot - com. You will be suitably compensated! (-: Questions I had some questions on topics I do not seem to remember when I started writing this blog entry, but either I found answers to them or I've completely forgotten what they are. But since I started typing this paragraph, I just figured I'll finish typing it anyway.